Welcome to the 3rd Green Half Marathon in Lefkada. This is one of the fastest Half Marathons in Greece and it is named Green since most of its route is around Gira Lefkadas, an environment of great ecological importance.What
Half Marathon, 5km and 1000m for School StudentsWhere
In Lefkada, the unique Ionian island which is linked with the rest of Greece by road through a length 50m floating bridge. It consists a unique travel destination with its incomparable beauty landscapes, its well-known and awarded worldwide beaches (Porto Katsiki, Egremni, Kathisma), the hospitality of its inhabitants, the great landscape and of course the superb Greek food.
The starting and finishing area of all races is the Beach Park of the main city of Lefkada. The route is flat, asphalt and most of which lies in an environment of great ecological importance (Gira Lefkadas).
Please find below photos and details of the route:http://filandros.com/%ce%b4%ce%b9%ce%b1%ce%b4%cf%81%ce%bf%ce%bc%ce%ae/When
Sunday, 26th of May 2013Why
Because the route includes the area of the Lagoon of Lefkada area protected by the Treaty Natura, which covered a total of 17 km, while the remaining 5 miles out around the city. Because it is totally flat and one of the fastest half marathons in Greece, ideal for a personal best. Because it is the best way to experience and discover Lefkada and its worldwide famous beaches. How
Contact us and we will make you an unbeatable offer to suit your needs and preferences:
We offer several options varying from short weekend breaks in Lefkada including your entry to the race, to a full vacation plan in Lefkada / Greece and the surrounding area!
Moreover, we can offer you training plans, actual training in Greece and of course we will run with you!For more information and detail please call:
+30 6978 524 433Or email:
We are looking forward to hearing from you!Happy runs!
Sunday, 26th of May 2013Event Schedule
Half Marathon Race: Starting time: 09:00
5Km Road Race: Starting time: 09:10
1000m Road Race of School Students: Starting time: 11:45Distances
Half Marathon Race, 5Km and 1000mOrganizer
The Athletic Club of Lefkada "Filandros" under the aegis of the Western Greece League Athletic Clubs S.E.G.A.S. (Hellenic Association of Amateur Athletics) and Municipality of Lefkada. The route is officially certified by AIMS-IAAFEntry Fee
Your participation to the race is paid and secured by RunninGreece.
The participation includes the following benefits:
- Electronic timer (official time and place)
- Participation diploma
- Commemorative Medal for participation
- Commemorative t-shirt
- Race bag
- Pasta partyDeadline registrationRegistration is open until 17th of May 2013.
Participation can be obtained via online registration.Health Coverage
In any case all runners participate solely at their own risk. The organizers have no responsibility for whatever happens to the runners related to health issues or is due to lack of preventive medical check. It is highly recommended that the participants undergo a thorough medical examination before entering the race. The organizers will not ask for medical certificates from any athlete (male and female), since they all participate at their own exclusive risk and responsibility (children are at the liability of their parents or guardians). We will also provide offers for special health checkup for all runners, and members of their families.Electronic Timing
All participants will be timed by a timing company using an electronic timing system. For this reason, the runners must wear the timing chip they will receive from the registration center together with the participation number. Attention:
Your time will not be registered and will not be included in the results if you do not have the timing chip attached to your shoe and not pass over the timing mats.Aid Stations
Approximately every 2.5 km along the length of the route there will be water stations (2nd, 5th, 7.5o, 10th, 13th, 15th, 18th km), and in the 10th there will be also isotonic drink. At the start and finish stations and at the runners support stations bottled water and sports drinks will be available to all attendees.Awards
The first 3 men and 3 women of general classification in both races (21.1 and 5 kilometers) will be awarded. Also in the road half-marathon will be awarded the first 3 athletes in each category as listed below. The first 3 men and 3 women of the general classification will not be awarded in individual categories. All runners who finish (21.1 km and 5 km) will be given a commemorative medal and diploma. Category will be established if they share at least 6 athletes. Otherwise the athletes will be merged in the next one, or previous in case of the last one.
|<34 years="" td="">
||< 30 years
|35 - 39 years
||31 - 40 years
|40 - 44 years
|45 - 49 years
|50 - 54 years
|55 - 59 years
|Simple Running Offer:
from €50 » BOOK NOW
The Simple offer is addressed to those who wish to come and stay in Lefkada on their own. It includes all the logistics of the race entry, pasta party, transportation to and from the starting line, tips and advice for the specific race, training schedule depending on your personal targets and safe keeping of your belonging during the race. If you really want to feel like a champion, we are here to support you!Running Offer:
from €150 » BOOK NOW
This offer is ideal for those who want to experience Greece the "running way", and get the most out of their visit in Lefkada. We have selected the ideal locations for you, and we will suggest you the ideal vacation plan. It includes the round trip from your hotel to starting line and the hotel arrangements in Lefkada. It also includes your registration to the race and all the logistics of the race entry, pasta party, transportation to and from the starting line, tips and advice for the specific race, training schedule depending on your personal targets, safe keeping of your belonging during the race, suggested vacation plan for all the days that you will be in Athens, and many more! It starts from €150 per person (runner or not) for a three days/two-nights accommodation in a 4star hotel. If you wish to stay longer, you may add as many nights as you want for an additional €50 per night per person.Special Running Offer
» Get a Custom Quote
Please tell us all your requirements and preferences, how many days you want to spend in Lefkada, what other places you wish to visit and we will come back with a tailor-made offer specific for you! We can add trainings, running tours, car/bike rental, excursions, family activities and many more. In any case our offer will include the hotel arrangements, transportation to and from your hotel, participation to the race and all the logistics of the race entry, pasta party, transportation to and from the starting line, tips and advice for the specific race, training schedule depending on your personal targets, safe keeping of your belonging during the race and suggested vacation plan for all the days that you will be in Lefkada.Group Running Offer
» Get a Custom Quote
If you are a group of people, please tell us all your requirements, how many of you are running, what you like and what you do not like and we will come back with a tailor-made offer specific for you and your company! We can add trainings, running tours, car/bike rental, excursions, family activities and many more. In any case our offer will include the hotel arrangements, transportation to and from your hotel, participation to the race and all the logistics of the race entry, pasta party, transportation to and from the starting line, tips and advice for the specific race, training schedule depending on your personal targets, safe keeping of your belonging during the race and suggested vacation plan for all the days that you will be in Lefkada.
Lefkada connects to the opposite coast of Central Greece via a floating swing bridge (length: 50 m). The bridge offers easy access to Lefkada to visitors from all over Greece. On Lefkada you will find noteworthy sights, churches and monasteries, picturesque villages, lush vegetation, idyllic coves of transparent, turquoise waters, busy and secluded beaches of stunning beauty, a significant cultural heritage and hospitable locals.
Lefkada town is the island’s capital and port town. The town planning is a very particular one and resembles a “fish backbone”. There are picturesque alleys, small squares, traditional houses, elaborate belfries and paved pedestrian zones that give this town its character. The city is surrounded by a canal and a lagoon, while, farther north, lies Gyra, a thin stretch of a sandy beach forming a circle, dotted with windmills and scant vegetation.
In Lefkada town there is also the lagoon, one of the Ionian Sea’s most significant wetlands, protected by the Ramsar Convention as a wetland of international importance. There are also the Agia Mavra fort, at the town’s entrance, constructed by a Sicilian named Giovanni Orsini in 1300, the Bosketo Park, where busts of the island’s eminent scholars are to be found, the pedestrian zone along the coast lined with the younger generation’s hangouts and the central square with many restaurants and cafés where Agios Spyridonas church is located (late 17th c.) with an interesting iconostasis and icons, the Kouzounteli (or Kouzoumpei) area, where age-long plane trees stand next to traditional coffee shops that serve freshly ground coffee and soumada drink made from fragrant almonds.
There is also an Archeological Museum. Finds (mid-Paleolithic times - 4th c. AD) come from tombs excavated at Nydri, burial grounds of the ancient town of Lefkada, etc.
Lefkada Lefkas has many and beautiful beaches to visit, according to your preferences. But one thing is sure, that you will love all of them! The most famous ones are:
Agios Nikitas: It is a beautiful scenic beach with turquoise waters, right after the settlement of Agios Nikitas. There are many small café around to drink your coffee and restaurants to enjoy your fish, overlooking the fantastic gulf of Agios Nikitas.
Kathisma: One of the most popular and most organized beaches of Lefkas, with many beach bars that play loud music, has become the favorite beach of youth. The white sand is ideal for rackets and beach volley. The waters are turquoise. Just amazing…!!!
Kalamitsi: Located near the village Kalamitsi, is a special beach with white pebbles and large rocks.
Egremnoi: It is one of the most popular beaches of the Mediterranean with so turquoise and clear water that you think that swimming in pool. You will enjoy it when you walk down the 350 steps. But you don’t be afraid at all because when you see the scenery you will get tired taking pictures. Also when you get to the beach you will run dive into the sea by saying “ii was worth it..”
Porto Katsiki : What to write and how to capture the incredible beauty of Porto Katsiki!!!! It has won many times the award of the best beach in Greece and it is one of the most famous in the world. It is the beach of white sand and big rocks. In short, someone can say that Lefkas is Porto Katsiki.
Vasiliki: It is one of the ten best beaches in the world for lovers of wind surf. Every year the international festival of wind surf is conducted with great success. Also there are many schools for those who want to try the sport.
• Swimming. If you stay in Lefkada town, you can swim at Kastro, Gyra, Myloi, and Agios Ioannis Antzousis. You will discover there are amazing beaches almost everywhere and to the island’s east you will find numerous beautiful, wooded isles.
• Visiting the sea caves. Kalamos and Kastos isles are within a short distance and can boast beaches and sea caves of great beauty.
• Bicycling; the town of Lefkada as well as the nearby coastline are ideal for a bicycle ride. Go round the lagoon, following the exceptional scenic route: Agia Mavra – Gyra – Myloi – Ai Giannis – Lefkada.
• Marina: it is located at the town’s east side, and is considered to be the best equipped marina in Greece.
• Kite surfing in Myloi beach.
• Mountain biking: the island’s tall, green mountains are criss-crossed by routes and trails that are ideal for this sport. Rent your mountain bike in Lefkada town.
• Paragliding (parapente) over Kathisma beach.
• Kariotes, a seaside village with modern tourist facilities, lying on the island’s east shores. At “Spasmeni Vrysi” location there is a well equipped camping site.
• Nikiana, a picturesque fishing village, built at the foot of Mount Skaros near a forest of age-long oak trees.
• Nydri. The island’s biggest tourist resort can boast an intense nightlife and an ultra-modern marina. Nydri faces Prigkiponisia (i.e. Madouri, Cheloni, Skorpios, Skorpidi and Sparti islands). There is a ferryboat service running to Meganisi, Ithaca, Kefalonia and Central Greece. You can go scuba diving; try one of the local scuba diving centres that organise underwater explorations. You can also opt for other water sports such as sailing or choose mountain biking, hiking, even swimming at the waterfalls cascading in Dimosari ravine.
• Poros, the southeastern Lefkada’s “balcony” offering a fine view of Arkoudi, Oxies, Ithaca, and Kefalonia islands. Swim in the crystal-clear waters of Mikros Gialos, where you can also find a well-equipped camping site.
• Vasiliki is a place with abundantly flowing waters and a vibrating nightlife. Take the ferry for a visit to the captivating Porto Katsiki beach, Agiofylli beach, Kefalonia and Ithaca. Vasiliki bay is a destination widely known for the particular climate conditions and favourable winds that make it very popular among windsurfing fans. You will also find horse riding farms that organise outings on horseback in the country.
• The lighthouse (within a short distance from Athani village) and the ruins of Apollo’s sanctuary in cape Doukato (Lefkata or Cape Kyra). That breathtaking location of rugged cliffs and magnificent sea view is also known as “Sappho’s Jump”; legend has it that this was the spot where Sappho, the lyric poetess of antiquity jumped off from, taking her own life.
• Karya, a well known mountain village with a picturesque plane tree shaded square. The exquisitely crafted traditional “karsanika” embroideries have won the place a fine reputation.
• Egklouvi, another beautiful traditional mountain village. It is famous for producing delicious lentils that are one of the top varieties in Greece. Other cultivations include chickpeas, broad fava beans, and a rare grape variety called “vertzami” possibly introduced to the area by the Venetians in 1684.
Ferry runs connect this green island to Nydri. There are three traditional villages, namely Katomeri, Vathy and Spartochori. Visit Giovani’s Cave and Papanikolis Cave, (accessible only by sea).
Kalamos Island is covered with pine trees, especially the north part. There is a ferry connection with Mytikas, Central Greece. Visit Episkopi, Kastromonastiro and Porto Leone, a small scenic bay.
Kastos is an elongated isle covered in olive trees. It provides safe anchorage for boats sailing the Ionian Sea. There are very few roads on the island, so there are no cars. Sarakiniko, the island’s west natural bay has a small jetty that allows mooring even during bad weather. There is a small shuttle boat service running to Central Greece. Visit Kastos village, Fokotrypa and Agios Aimilianos country chapel.
Thank you for your interest to this event. Unfortunately, you are not able to register to this year’s event.
Keep visiting www.runningreece.com to be informed for the next year’s edition.
You can subscribe to our newsletter and we will keep you informed for all the upcoming events.
Please browse www.runningreece.com to find another event in similar dates or location.
For any additional information please contact us at: info[@]runningreece.com
We are looking forward to seeing you running with us!